The ringers at St Mary’s are members of the North Staffordshire Association of Change Ringers (see Links page) which covers the Archdeaconry of Stoke. This organisation encourages bell ringing in the area and organises ringing meetings and social events and has a bell restoration fund which can make contributions to bell projects.
Members of the Stafford Band
Sometimes, often to mark special occasions, the bells are rung for extended lengths of ringing known as quarter peals (1260 changes) or peals (over 5000 changes). These can take 50 minutes and over 3 hours to ring respectively, with every change different. Over 100 peals have been rung at Stafford and details of can be found on the Staffordshire peals web site (see Links page).
In the Ringing Chamber
We welcome new recruits and existing ringers to the tower and also any non-ringers who may be interested in bell ringing. Please contact the Tower Captain (Selwyn Jones) via the church if you require further information.
The tower is situated in the centre of Stafford behind Macdonalds. OS map location is SJ921232 and the entrance to the tower is outside on the south side of the church in the corner of the south transept nearest the church porch. The How to Find Us page has full directions and parking information.
Page Last Updated 28th September 2008